Saturday, October 29, 2005

Blogsome not as good as I originally thought

My quest to not have my own server has been foiled. To do what I want with my blog I'm going to have to either run the site from my house or find a decent host (GoDaddy.com just increased storage space - $4 for 5Gb).

Issue #1
Blogsome uses a multiple user version of WordPress and has placed a template manager (Smarty) between the php code and the template. However, the template tags need to be created with Smarty to link to the WordPress PHP code and it seems there are a lot of tags missing that would make Blogsome a really great system to use. Most of the WordPress tags are supposed to work in Blogsome - but, after seeing all the issues on the forum and experiencing it for myself, most of them don't.

Issue #2
Another issue is the XMLRPC problem where a "\" is placed in the front of every double or single quote. So if your main method of posting items is from an application that uses the Meta Weblog API, such as Flickr and Flock, then Blogsome is almost unusable.

Issue #3
It appears that email is not an option. Though I have the ability to add pop3 settings it doesn't actually work.

No comments: