Friday, November 25, 2005

Everybody should have a wishlist

Everybody has a Christmas tradition.  One of ours goes like this.

wife: So what do you want for Christmas?
me: I don't know.
wife: Didn't you want <insert something here>?
me: Would be nice but I don't really need it.
wife: So you don't want anything?
me: Not really.

Actually I do want stuff but I just don't remember over time all the little things that I think would be nice to have.  I also hate having money spent on me - seems wasteful.  The things I do remember would cost way too much - like a 50" widescreen Sony tv.  I used to hate shopping for Christmas gifts - still do actually but my wife does it all now.  People are hard to buy for and I'm no exception.  Therefore, everybody should have a wishlist.

As an avid Googler I've always used the shopping list on Froogle.  It worked but it was far from perfect because I could only add things to it that I found on Froogle.  Yahoo has come out with a bit more advanced version called the Shoposphere which allows you to sort your items into categories though it's still limited in that I can only add items from Yahoo Shopping.

Then I came across Kaboodle.  Not only is it for keeping a wishlist of products, you can keep a list of, well, anything.  Let's say you're going on a trip with some family and you want everybody  to decide on where to stay, eat, or what to do.  Load all the websites for the hotels, restaurants, entertainment and have the family add comments or vote on the one they like the best.  Kaboodle is a great way to keep thoughts organized while browsing different sites.

Here are a few things I'd like to see added and I'm sure these and more are in the works since Kaboodle has only been live for a month.
  1. RSS feeds.
  2. The ability to move an item from one page (or category) to another.
  3. While the ability exists to make your items public or private, I can only see the latest public additions that everybody on Kaboodle has made.  It would be nice to browse for an item to see what research, if any, someone else has done on a certain product.
  4. Need a way to administer your account (change password, email, etc.)
For now it's still worthwhile and very easy to use - try it out.

No comments: