Thursday, January 26, 2006

Get with the RSS

I'm amazed at the list of people, technical people, who do not use an aggregator.  All these people tell me how they read news, blogs, technical articles, etc. and how they actually go to each one of those sites to look for new articles.  I won't name any names on what set me off - you know who you are.  Most of the technical, non-aggregating, people I know are not quite that technical but the one I talked to today is and has no excuse - none!

So, go get an aggregator - there are tons of them.  Here's how.
  1. The best aggregators are internet based.  2 of them are NewsGator and BlogLines.  Although I'm told that the new Google Reader is good but I've tried it and...well...ick.
  2. Go to the blog or site that you want to read and look for their rss feed.  If they don't have one then they're morons and aren't worth your time.  Most links to rss feeds are marked by a little orange icon.
  3. Grab the url to that rss feed and add it to your aggregator.
RSS is also just a format - XML feed is the real name.  Another popular format is Atom.  Saying RSS is kind of like saying Bandaid or Kleenex (because really, who say's "I need a facial tissue").

There, now you just have to go to one website to get all your news and you can rest easy that I won't be making fun of you.  Because I will be making fun of you - in a big way.

No comments: