Thursday, August 25, 2005

Deleting locked files

So Brian sends me a link to something to install and check out.  Since we pass stuff back and forth all the time I have no issues with installing this thing.  So I download it and run the executable.  A console window pops up then goes away - hmm.  We realize that the file did not download correctly (the file size was only 8 bytes).  I tried deleting the file and it said another user or process had locked it.  Not a big deal - get those all the time.  However after rebooting - booting in safe mode - chkdsk - rebooting again - etc. I'm still not able to delete the file.  This sucks because the file is on my desktop - and causes all of the guys at work to laugh at me even harder.

Brian does find this program that deletes the file on startup before windows has a chance to lock it.  It worked (lucky for him).

1 comment:

Brian said...

Lucky for me? I wasn't the one with the file locked on my desktop. Lucky for you!