Sunday, June 12, 2005

So it begins

I should be going to bed around 10 but I always decide to just watch a "little" TV.  That usually ends up being a couple of hours watching something like The Blind Swordsman or playing poker through PokerRoom.com (of which I'm 17,000 out of 19,000 players - so I should give that up).  So after staying up till midnight on Saturday I begin Sunday morning at 6:30 with my wife screaming.  It's one thing to wake up quietly with the sound of rain and something entirely different to wake to a scream.  It turns out that the Boy has decided to pee in the potty.

Now, the rules of the potty training game begin with showering the child with loads of praise when he is successful - hence the earlier scream of which I now realize wasn't a bad, I'm in pain, scream but a good one.  Since Laura has done her part, I'm now expected to do mine and I drag myself up, go into the bathroom, say good job, and go back to bed.

So begins the ritual of constantly placing the child on the potty, asking if he has to go, and the constant praise for successes (which requires the parent to be "upbeat" - which is not my area of expertise).  This should be interesting.

1 comment:

Brian said...

This sounds a little familiar:

The other night I went out DRINKING. Note the uppercase letters for emphasis. I came home late at night very drunk. I made a quick pit stop, and went to bed. Now when I was in the bathroom pee’ing, I may, or may not have lifted the seat. It was late, I was drunk, it was dark, and frankly who cares?

Similar to your story, I was woken up with a scream @ 4:50 AM. However, one major difference exists; it wasn't a scream of praise. It went something like this: "How the #$%@ did you manage to #$%$@ all over the #$@**#&@ toilet seat!"

When did things happen to get so complicated?